Share this image on your site!
Blogging is not just for hobbyists any more. It is not just for people who want to write about conspiracy theories and recipes. Blogging is a powerful marketing tool that can drive traffic to a website, engage with customers at a personal level, and generate the leads you will eventually convert to sales. If you are not taking advantage of blogging on your organisation’s website, you really need to start doing so.
- 76% of B2B marketers utilise blogging as a marketing tool
- 65% of all online marketing content consists of blog posts
- 45% of content marketers consider blogging their most important strategy
Creating Blog Content
Topics and post length are key in determining the effectiveness of an organisation’s blog. Relevant and/or trending topics draw viewers; long-form posts tend to be more effective than their short-form counterparts.
“The first thing you learn when you’re blogging is that people are one click away from leaving you. So you’ve got to get to the point, you can’t waste people’s time, you’ve got to give them some value for their limited attention span.” – Alex Tabarrok
- Long-form blog posts are nine times more effective than short-form posts
- The average blog post runs approximately 1,142 words, up 41% between 2014 and 2017
- Topic and presentation are important: writers have only 37 seconds to capture the average reader’s attention
- Combining blogs to generate leads and social media to engage gets better results than just blogging alone
How Often to Post
There is no hard and fast rule for how often bloggers should post, despite what many SEO experts claim. Google, as the industry leader, only says that updates should be ‘regular’. Updates can be either fresh content or updates of existing posts.
- 3 updates per week is the general rule of thumb
- Evergreen content is rather effective because it can be updated with little effort
- Just 55% of bloggers update older posts; 45% do not
- Among those who do update older posts, 74% report better results
- Just a few updates of old posts can increase monthly traffic by as much as 400%
- SnapApp – https://www.snapapp.com/blog/54-content-marketing-stats-guide-your-2018-strategy#bloggingstats
- Content Marketing Institute – http://www.iab.net/media/file/B2BResearch2014.pdf
- LinkedIn Technology Marketing Community – http://www.slideshare.net/hschulze/b2b-content-marketing-report-40688285
- Social Media Examiner – https://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/report/
- Brainy Quote – https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/alex_tabarrok_548050?src=t_blogging
- Orbit Media – https://www.orbitmedia.com/blog/blogging-statistics/
- Digital Marketing Pro – https://www.digitalmarketingpro.net/how-often-should-you-update-your-website-446/